Internet Explorer/Windows Media plugin?

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Mon Feb 4 11:40:54 CET 2002

Gildas Bazin wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 Bill Eldridge <bill at rfa.org> Wrote:
> >
> >Any thoughts as to what would be required
> >to make the Windows vlc client an Internet Explorer
> >plugin instead?
> >

> It really depends on what you would like to do.
>
> - If you want Internet Explorer to open VLC each time you click on a link to an MPEG1/2 video then you can just change the file type association in Windows (in "Folder Options").

Unfortunately, VLC doesn't seem to handle many of my
MPEG video tests, so I'd only want to associate it
with ones that work. (i.e. ones I'm particularly serving
from VLS or otherwise have control of).

> - Now if you want to design a web site that will use a VLC plugin (ActiveX component as >M$ calls it) to display an embedded video then it will definitly be a lot of work because >we need to transform VLC into an ActiveX component.

So I couldn't already associate VLC in IE with say,
a mime-type of:

	video/videolan	.vlc

and have it launch your app without additional ActiveX hooks?

> Even though this sounds like a nice idea, this is not on my todo list right now (my time is limited).

Understood.

--
Bill Eldridge
Radio Free Asia