Mac OS X crashes.

The DJ hartman at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 21:32:17 CET 2002

on 08-02-2002 18:59, Florian G. Pflug at fgp at phlo.org wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:04:19PM +0100, The DJ wrote:
>> I've been using vlc a lot lately, and since I have a lot of movies and
>> dvd's, I have quite some material. I most often see see this with MPEG and
>> MPEG2 stuff. I looks like the data that comes out of vlc is just out of
>> bounds because of the glitch, and that the Quicktime view just crashes on
>> that.
>
>> Not nice at all. I would suspect that that thing ought to be a bit
>> more fault tolerant. BTW. The behaviour is not consistent. Once in a while
>> it will pass the glitch, and you see the usual jibber.
> We don't use quicktime to decompress mpeg, we only let it do the YUV->RGB
> transformation for us (since QT can use your graphics card hardware for this
> job). So the reason for the crashes is burried somewhere in the vlc sources,
> and it's not Apples fault. ;-)
>
>> I have also experienced a problem where the movie just freezes and stops.
>> You have to press play again. But when you get there, the same problem
>> occurs.
> I watches the first 10 or 20 minutes of the movie file I downloaded for you,
> but didn't experience these hangs. If they always happen at the same
> location, could you tell me the timestamp of this location?
>
> Do you have a G3 or a G4? Maybe it's the altivec code on the G4 that crashes
> on the "Coefficients out of bound" you saw... You could try to disable the
> altivec-support with (from the Terminal):
> ./vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc --motion motion --idct idctclassic <your movie
> file>
>
> greetings, Florian Pflug

G4.
Sorry man, send you the wrong file. This is part 2, part1 had many more
errors, but this one has a few aswell.

14:20
48:29
50:40

They are definitely Altivec related. If I use the options you specify then I
just get the glitch. And the hangs and crashes are actually almost the same.
Sometimes a hang, most often a Seg fault. Found this out when I was passing
the same glitch more then once. In case of a hang I get the error message:
Unable to determine stream type

Hope that helps.

DJ
Universiteit Twente