Mac OS X crashes.

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Fri Feb 8 18:59:40 CET 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:04:19PM +0100, The DJ wrote:
> I've been using vlc a lot lately, and since I have a lot of movies and
> dvd's, I have quite some material. I most often see see this with MPEG and
> MPEG2 stuff. I looks like the data that comes out of vlc is just out of
> bounds because of the glitch, and that the Quicktime view just crashes on
> that.

> Not nice at all. I would suspect that that thing ought to be a bit
> more fault tolerant. BTW. The behaviour is not consistent. Once in a while
> it will pass the glitch, and you see the usual jibber.
We don't use quicktime to decompress mpeg, we only let it do the YUV->RGB
transformation for us (since QT can use your graphics card hardware for this
job). So the reason for the crashes is burried somewhere in the vlc sources,
and it's not Apples fault. ;-)

> I have also experienced a problem where the movie just freezes and stops.
> You have to press play again. But when you get there, the same problem
> occurs.
I watches the first 10 or 20 minutes of the movie file I downloaded for you,
but didn't experience these hangs. If they always happen at the same
location, could you tell me the timestamp of this location?

Do you have a G3 or a G4? Maybe it's the altivec code on the G4 that crashes
on the "Coefficients out of bound" you saw... You could try to disable the
altivec-support with (from the Terminal):
./vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc --motion motion --idct idctclassic <your movie file>

greetings, Florian Pflug