Validity of TS format transmitted by vls over network

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Feb 14 11:36:46 CET 2002

eric.verlind at philips.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Vls 0.3.1 used to stream an MPEG1 PS over the network. Videolan server makes a TS out of it. The basic question is: how standard-compliant is this TS, thinking of having to render this via a hardware card in future.
>

> Related to this: can anybody explain the following phenomenon:
>
> I started with an MPEG1 PS, encoded at some 1.2 Mbit/s. I used vls to read it and stream it over the network.
> Instead of using vlc, I using a small program that listened to UDP port 1234 and dumped all the data received from the network into a file dump.mpg.
>
> On trying to play this *file* using vlc I see the usual phenomenon of vlc not being able to deal with a TS: a slider quickly moves from left to right without rendering any video or audio.
>
> On trying to stream this file again using vls over the network there was more success: if was received and rendered OK by vlc.
>
> Can anybody explain why it does not work with file playback and why it does work when vls is involved.
>

> This relates presumably to the original question: how much of a TS is the stream coming out of vls? Can anybody play it using a hardware accelerator?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Eric Verlind

Eric,

You dumped a TS on disk. When I play it whith

vlc -V sdl --input ts dump.mpg

It does what you suspect to do. If you name it a .mpg, then you expect
an MPEG file and not a TS file.

vlc tries by default a ps input and not an ts input as you need in this
case. By the way I used the standard rpm for this version: vlc-0.2.92-1
--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199