audio distortion with CM8738 chip

Dan Hopper dbhopper at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 24 06:29:25 CET 2002

Ren?-Pierre Lehmann <ripi at lepi.org> remarked:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 07:42, Dan Hopper wrote:
> > I just recently upgraded to a Soyo Dragon+ motherboard with
> > integrated CM8738 sound chip, and compiled the latest vlc (0.2.92).
> > Regardless of which audio driver I use (default or esd), the audio
> > sounds garbled (kind of warbly) and out of sync with the video.
> > Sounds the same even if the video output is disabled.
>
> I got a similar problem with my pci sound card based on CM8738 sound chip.
> I installed alsa drivers, and now it works like a charm through oss-emulation.
> Perhaps should you try installing alsa.

Thanks, Ripi.  I just installed alsa, and it seems to have cured
that particular problem.

But now, vlc seems to be suffering from a/v sync problems on my box,
and after you play a vid for a minute or two, it starts dropping
frames left and right for some reason:

vout warning: late picture skipped (0x8174950)
vout warning: late picture skipped (0x8174950)
vout warning: late picture skipped (0x8174950)
vout warning: late picture skipped (0x8174900)

Odd.  My old Athlon-750 never had difficulties, so I can only assume
something else is different.  The CPU meter stays below 1% the whole
time.  Is top and similar tools even accurate for vlc?  I mean, I
would have expected to take at least a few percent of the CPU (a
1.53 GHz Athlon XP) to handle a SVCD-quality MPEG2 stream.

Thanks,
Dan