libdvdcss method

Stéphane Borel stef at via.ecp.fr
Fri Jan 4 00:33:35 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 05:50:08PM +1100, Chris Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
> Forgive the nievity of this question. But am I correct in thinking that typing
> export DVDCSS_METHOD=disc
> will change the method that libdvdcss tries to crack the discs keys for any
> player it is running under?

Yes, it should begin with cracking a key while initializing (quite a long time:
15s on my athlon500). Then this key should allow to decrypt all the
title keys instantly.

The difference with the former method is that the title keys are no
longer guessed but really computed, so the necessary time shouldn't depend on the
DVD, it should always be the same.

> I've tried to do this with xine using the dvdnav plugin, but it doesn't seem
> to change the way the keys are cracked, I still see the output list the
> titles one after another as it tries to crack them and it takes just as long
> as it used to, this is reguardless of what I set DVDCSS_METHOD to.
> Also, I read something in the changelog for dvdcss about caching of the keys,
> is this caching only on a per session basis, or is it supposed to make it
> unessicary to crack the keys again next time you play the disc?

The way keys are cached still needs to be worked on in my opinion ; but
I'm not sure of the right way to do and I have little time to think of
it.

For now, the caching is only session-wide ; the decrypted keys are not
saved.

--
Stef