Question about vlc: you will need Linux kernel 2.4.x or later

jgcc at pacbell.net jgcc at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 6 02:04:25 CET 2002

Afterdownloading the vlc code and libdvdcss-1.0.0, I apparently
compiled vlc, but received the following warning:

bash-2.04$ ./vlc
warning: your OS doesn't have support for SSE instructions, some optimizations
will be disabled
(you will need Linux kernel 2.4.x or later)
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.92_2002-01-05 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

1) I am running on a dual cpu Intel PIII (550 Mhz). I suppose this means
that my chipset does not support SSE? Do I understand this
correctly?

Here is the data on my cpus from /proc:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 7
model name	: Pentium III (Katmai)
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 551.259
cache size	: 512 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
sep_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips	: 1101.00

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 7
model name	: Pentium III (Katmai)
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 551.259
cache size	: 512 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
sep_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips	: 1101.00

2) However, do I understand correctly that I cannot really run vlc
unless I upgrade my kernel to 2.4? I have a production environment
on my main machine which runs 2.2.16 very reliably and cannot afford
to upgrade to 2.4 here for another couple of months.

Can I go out and buy a DVD player now, or must I wait until I can
run 2.4 to play dvds with vlc?

Thank you very much for any help.

Jeff Collins
jgcc at pacbell.net