Question about vlc: you will need Linux kernel 2.4.x or later

Mac Mason macmasta at ak.net
Sun Jan 6 04:12:00 CET 2002

You're just fine with 2.2.16 (although I would very strongly suggest
upgrading to 2.2.20 to get rid of the newgrp local root and remote DoS
attacks)
As far as I know, kernel support for SSE doesn't exist in 2.4
Also, to see what a cpu with SSE looks like, here's
#cat /proc/cpuinfo on my athlonxp 1600+:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 4 processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1401.734
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 2798.38

Note how "flags" includedes sse.
I believe that PIII's don't have it.
SSE won't make any great difference, it's really just a small
improvement.
(SSE2, on the other hand, can make a tremendous difference for software
that's aware of it)

~Mac~