Progress bar runs to end in 20 seconds!

John Mellor John at Kungfu-tse.net
Sun Jan 6 16:52:16 CET 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 19:50, John Mellor wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 04:00, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 04, 2002, John Mellor wrote:
> > >     Some DVDs seem to play perfectly, but I have one that fires up
> and runs
> > > whereupon the progress bar shoots to the end in less than 20 seconds
> and
> > > the whole thing then freezes. The video itself is still in the
> opening
> > > frames. Can anyone tell me what is happening?
> >
> >    What is the DVD title? Also, try to run vlc with the -vvvvv flags
> > and send the log here if it's not too big, it may contain useful
> > information.
> >
> > Regards
>

> Thanks for reply, Sam. I cannot find a log but I did run it from the
> terminal with -vvvvv and besides a variety of seemingly normal messages
> there was a long succession of the following:
> "vout warning: late picture skipped (0x81b6ba0)"
> the no. in brackets kept changing. At the end of this sequence I had:
> "dvd info: new title
> ifo info: vts 2 initialized
> dvd: title 2 vts_title 1 pgc 1"
> after which it hung with the picture flickering and the Gnome interface
> dead. Hope this helps. Incidentally I am using 0.2.91 for Mandrake. The
> DVD is Castaway by DreamWorks.(DVD 688 219 2 . 11.
>
> John

Sorry, forgot to mention another message which may be important:
"module warning - cannot open /usr/lib/videolan/vlc/sdl.so
(libSDL-1.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or
directory"
I definitely have installed a package called libSDL1.2-1.1.2-1mdk.
Incidentally, I downloaded vlc-0.2.91.-1.i386rpm and similar gnome and
libdvdcss, although I think my system relates to i586. The latter for
mandrake showed 404 error when I tried to download so I 'browsed the
list' and found only the 386s. Could there be any problems involved
here?