Progress bar runs to end in 20 seconds!

John Mellor John at Kungfu-tse.net
Mon Jan 7 12:44:27 CET 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-06 at 15:52, John Mellor wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 19:50, John Mellor wrote:
> > and runs
> > and
> > opening
> > >
> > >    What is the DVD title? Also, try to run vlc with the -vvvvv flags
> > > and send the log here if it's not too big, it may contain useful
> > > information.
> > >
> > > Regards
> >

> > Thanks for reply, Sam. I cannot find a log but I did run it from the
> > terminal with -vvvvv and besides a variety of seemingly normal messages
> > there was a long succession of the following:
> > "vout warning: late picture skipped (0x81b6ba0)"
> > the no. in brackets kept changing. At the end of this sequence I had:
> > "dvd info: new title
> > ifo info: vts 2 initialized
> > dvd: title 2 vts_title 1 pgc 1"
> > after which it hung with the picture flickering and the Gnome interface
> > dead. Hope this helps. Incidentally I am using 0.2.91 for Mandrake. The
> > DVD is Castaway by DreamWorks.(DVD 688 219 2 . 11.
> >
> > John
> >

> Sorry, forgot to mention another message which may be important:
> "module warning - cannot open /usr/lib/videolan/vlc/sdl.so
> (libSDL-1.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or
> directory"
> I definitely have installed a package called libSDL1.2-1.1.2-1mdk.
> Incidentally, I downloaded vlc-0.2.91.-1.i386rpm and similar gnome and
> libdvdcss, although I think my system relates to i586. The latter for
> mandrake showed 404 error when I tried to download so I 'browsed the
> list' and found only the 386s. Could there be any problems involved
> here?

I have now tried this in Windows and it works fine, if that is any clue.
Someone advised me to make a symlink from libSDL-1.1.so.0 to
libSDL-1.2.so.0 (the file I have) and this worked a treat in deceiving
the program. However, I learnt that not all error messages are bad, and
now know what SDL is! The screeen came up green with "SDL output" on the
title bar instead of "X-11 output". I removed the symlink with a lesson
learnt. However, CASTAWAY still does not play, if anyone can help.