DVD Player

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Sun Jan 6 23:28:53 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:41:27PM -0500, Ricky Stilley wrote:
> Hi - I found out about your site today and downloaded VLC 0.2.91 for Mac
> OS X. I am using it on a PowerBook G3 with a DVD player that uses
> hardware decoding. I figure I am probably overlooking something simple.
> I have a DVD loaded, and launched VLC in OS X 10.1.2. The program runs,
> but the Open Disk under File is grayed out.

The last version should be 0.2.92-pre1 for macosx - here is the url
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.2.92/macosx/

"Open Disc" will still be grayed out - I still haven't had the time to
figure out how to get vlc to detect the available DVD-Drives on OSX.

But you can start vlc from the command line. Just download the latest
version, open a terminal, change to the directory where you saved vlc, and
type
./vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc dvd:/dev/rdisk1

depending on your machine, it could also be some other number than "1" in
"/dev/rdisk1".

Please tell me if, and how good, it works for you.

greetings, Florian Pflug