vlc-cvs video output jerky

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Wed Jan 9 05:18:09 CET 2002

> From: David Mills <djm at cs.mu.oz.au>
>
> If you use "vlc -v" do you get a lot of "missed picture" messages?  If so

	Not a single one.   I did get one or two "late picture skipped" messages
	but only a couple of those out of several minutes of very jerky video.

> you've got the same problem as me.  You need to enable xvideo optimisations.

	Of course ;)   And the Matrox G400Max + XVideo works _great_ with
	MPlayer and vlc-0.2.92 - just not with vlc-0.2.92-devel (from cvs)

> To do so you need a better video card driver.  Check to see if you
> manufacturer has one for Linux.

	Well, uh, errr - I don't think linux drivers would be terribly
	effective or useful on a BSD/OS system <grin>

	XFree86-4.1.0 plus the Matrox provided drivers are in use though so
	I'm puzzled as to what is causing the video playback to shake so
	badly (it's only a SVCD file at that so the datarate is ~2.5 Mb/s or
	less and not even close to DVD data rates).

	I'll include the output of "vlc -v" below in case I've overlooked
	something obvious.

	Steven Schultz
	sms at 2bsd.com

vlc -v track3.mpg
warning: your CPU has SSE instructions, but not your operating system.
         some optimizations will be disabled unless you upgrade your OS
warning: your OS doesn't have support for SSE instructions, some optimizations
will be disabled
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.92-dev_2002-01-08 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002 VideoLAN

module: browsing `.'
module: browsing `plugins'
module: browsing `/usr/local/lib/videolan/vlc'
module: locking memcpy module `memcpymmxext'
module: locking interface module `gtk'
intf: interface initialized
input: playlist item `track3.mpg'
module: locking input module `mpeg_ps'
module: locking decoder module `mpeg_vdec'
module: locking motion module `motionmmxext'
module: locking iDCT module `idctmmxext'
module: locking decoder module `mpeg_adec'
vpar: no vout present, spawning one
module: locking video output module `xvideo'
aout: no aout present, spawning one
module: locking audio output module `dsp'
vout info: got 5 direct buffer(s)
vout info: picture in 480x480, chroma 0x30323449 (I420), aspect ratio 4:3
vout info: picture out 480x480, chroma 0x32315659 (YV12), aspect ratio 4:3
vout warning: late picture skipped (0x81e15c8)
vout warning: late picture skipped (0x81e13b8)