VLC OSX ?

neil epstein neps at mac.com
Fri Jan 18 15:53:48 CET 2002

Silly, silly, Man.

DVD in the apple laptop started with the G3 PowerBooks. It might even be the
first DVD in an apple machine. The very first g3 power book which was in the
3400 form factor did not have dvd. The second PowerBooks with a g3 processor
had a new form factor which was this black clam shell that was the basis for
the laptop design between now and the titanium revision. This model, and
everyone since, had DVD or an option to have DVD on it.

Many people flocked to these machines and the promise of DVD, which Apple
has since reneged on with OS 10, which wont support DVD playback in these
machines. These millions of users who helped support apple on their
innovations, are being quickly left in the dust.

Thankfully, to the thanks of open source and projects like this, these
machines will be able to run DVD.

And back to the original question. DVD does work in the Lombard, I have this
very machine myself. However, you can not use the GUI to run them. You have
to access it from the terminal by typing at the folder where the vlc app is
stored:

./vlc.app/contents/macos/vlc dvd:/dev/rdisk1

Its been a month since I've used a successful build, so I'm not sure if it
still works this way.

Hope that wasn't too much info,

Neil