Compiled 0.2.92 for Mac OS X

St=?ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=phane Sudre s.sudre at free.fr
Sat Jan 19 17:37:27 CET 2002

le 19/01/02 16:08, Florian G. Pflug à fgp at phlo.org a écrit :

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 07:21:29PM +0100, Alexander Meier wrote:
>> which version of the dev. tools are you running? I have interface
>> builder 2.1 (v219) and project builder 1.1 (v73.3) . at some time this
>> summer I downloaded the dev.tools .img for 10.1 directly from apple, it
>> still works but I didn't upgrade to the latest dev.tools b/c I thought I
>> didn't need to... maybe I should... (also takes only about 10-20 mins :-)
> I'm running the "December"-Edition (Think that how apple called it ;- ) now.
> But the vlc.app specific parts of the Makefile did not change recently, and
> they also worked with the "original" 10.1 DevTools.
>
>> there is a slight possibility that it may be also just totally my
>> fault.. a few weeks ago I changed a bunch of owner previliges by
>> accident on various files... I thought I fixed that, but maybe I have to
>> recheck this too....
>
> Well, you could check the Makefile. It calls "pbxbuild" in the directory
> extras/MacOSX, which created an vlc.app dir. This directory is than copied
> to the source-root, and some files (like the actual vlc binary) are added.
>
> If you search for pbxbuild in the Makefile, I'm sure you can try to do this
> steps by hand and see what happend.

About the Mac OS X specific parts of the Project:

- the 19/01/2002 snapshots does not compile at all on Mac OS X.
- I don't know what reason was behind the switch from Carbon to Cocoa but
the person who coded the current Cocoa Front-End does not know how to code
in Objective-C & Cocoa (it's not to be bad or pretentious, it's just the
facts).

- From the comments in the source code and parts of the source code, it
seems the Mac OS X specific parts are not aligned on the most recent part of
the code. MODULE_NULL something is defined nowhere for instance (the qnx
part seems to be affected to)
- Parts of the code seems to be coded strangely in the module section. Doing
a bit OR on integer from 0 to 8 is not considered clever. It may be lacking
a power of 2 somewhere.

- the 0.2.92 binary is not working at all (in fact I've only been able to
get a snaily, clunky audio output from one file on the Matrix DVD on a Power
Mac G4 450 MHz). At least the 0.2.90 was able to read the beginning of some
MPEG2 files before crashing. Currently, opening a file with the Cocoa GUI is
going to do one of the following thing:
* crash the application
* do nothing
* display an empty window (which will never get filled if you have a look at
the code).

As just an occasional user, I just have 2 questions for the Mac OS X part:

has there ever been a working Mac OS X binary released and what was the
version of the binary?

It's a huge and complex project but I really don't understand why the CVS is
including know-buggy and impossible to compile code. That sounds completely
illogical.