Compiled 0.2.92 for Mac OS X

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Sat Jan 19 18:13:40 CET 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 05:37:27PM +0100, Stéphane Sudre wrote:
> - the 19/01/2002 snapshots does not compile at all on Mac OS X.
> - I don't know what reason was behind the switch from Carbon to Cocoa but
> the person who coded the current Cocoa Front-End does not know how to code
> in Objective-C & Cocoa (it's not to be bad or pretentious, it's just the
> facts).
So, guess this makes me the one "knowing nothing about coding in Objective-C
& Cocoa".

Unstable (the CVS version) is currently changing quite fast, and I don't
have to time to keep up with this. Once unstable begins to stabilize again,
the MacOSX-Port will be synced with the rest of vlc. Most of the other ports
(BeOS, Win32, even QT I think) have the same problems regarding unstable,
and I think most of them don't compile at the moment.

That's the reason that there is a v0_2_92_branch in the CVS. It was branched
before the massive changes, and everything should compile there.

I don't claim to be an expert in either Cocoa or Objective-C. If you feel
there the design of my code is bad, or that I got some things wrong, please
don't state "You don't know anything", but rather state "See, you should do
things like THIS, and not like THAT, because THIS has THOSE advantages over
THAT".

You could even state "You don't know anything, stupid" at the beginning of
your mail as long as you do explain what _exactly_ I'm doing wrong later on.

> - From the comments in the source code and parts of the source code, it
> seems the Mac OS X specific parts are not aligned on the most recent part of
> the code. MODULE_NULL something is defined nowhere for instance (the qnx
> part seems to be affected to)
> - Parts of the code seems to be coded strangely in the module section. Doing
> a bit OR on integer from 0 to 8 is not considered clever. It may be lacking
> a power of 2 somewhere.
See statement above.

> - the 0.2.92 binary is not working at all (in fact I've only been able to
> get a snaily, clunky audio output from one file on the Matrix DVD on a Power
> Mac G4 450 MHz). At least the 0.2.90 was able to read the beginning of some
> MPEG2 files before crashing. Currently, opening a file with the Cocoa GUI is
> going to do one of the following thing:
> * crash the application
> * do nothing
> * display an empty window (which will never get filled if you have a look at
> the code).
It works for me, and I haven't been able to reproduce those bugs. I'm aware
of the fact that a lot of people have problems with the OSX port, but I
honestly don't know how to debug this, if it runs fine on my machine.

> As just an occasional user, I just have 2 questions for the Mac OS X part:
>
> has there ever been a working Mac OS X binary released and what was the
> version of the binary?
See statement above. I have made a new 0.2.92 binary a few days agon, but
didn't upload it yet. I will do that.

> It's a huge and complex project but I really don't understand why the CVS is
> including know-buggy and impossible to compile code. That sounds completely
> illogical.
The CVS is branched. Those things work for the v0_2_92_branch. See
statements above.

Your statement that "I don't know nothing about Objective-C & Cocoa" implies
that you _do_ know something about those. I invite you to work on the
MacOSX-Port, and fix the bugs that are anoying you.

As far as I know, I'm the only one currently working on the OSX-Port (well,
"currently" is actually a bit inacurrat ;-) ), and I don't have the time to
do all the things that should be done. Help is always appreciated,
especially if the one feels so strong about vlc as you seem to do ;-)

greetings, Florian Pflug