Compiled 0.2.92 for Mac OS X

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Mon Jan 21 00:03:07 CET 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 07:33:08PM +0100, Stéphane Sudre wrote:
> just facts). If you want detailed information why I have this opinion, here
> are some points:
Thanks. I always appreciate feedback.

> - the extension for Objective-C files is .m. In the code, the Objective-C
> files have the .c extension. This leads to Project Builder not being able
> for instance to index the source code.
I know that the standard for Objective-C is .m. But I couldn't get the vlc
build system to work with ".m" files, so I changed the extension to ".c".

> - the use of a NSQuickDrawView is really really weird. I don't see what is
> so important in QuickDraw that you can't get with a standard NSView and the
> use of a NSBitmapImageRep or the use of the CoreGraphics API using the
> CoreGraphic Context obtained from the NSView Graphic context.
Well, NSQuickDrawView seems to be meant for cases where you need a QuickDraw
Port (qdport). Since quicktime needs a qdport to draw to, I believe
NSQuickDrawView is the right widget to use. Why the hell should I
reimplement the functionality of NSQuickDrawView if it's already there.

I case you wonder, we use QuickTime for video output because it enables use
to use the graphic hardware for scaling and YUV->RGB transformation.

> - the Project is made to compile a .bundle (I don't see how you can obtain a
> .app from the current project settings). I'm using the September Dev Tools
> and there is no major difference in this version from the last version : Dec
> Tool.
Vlc already has a build system, and I don't believe using PBs build system
instead of the one vlc offers has any benefit. But using vlc to create the
.app is easier than doing it by hand.

Thats why the actual vlc binary is created using the standard vlc build
system, but the other files that belong in a .app directory are built using
pbxbuild. Since pbxbuild doesn't build any binary, I found .bundle the
logical target to use.

> - the use of .png files for graphics in Cooca is weird. Every project I've
> seen is using .tiff files.
Maybe the only thing more weird than using .png is complaining about which
graphics format a developer chose. ;-)
Honestly, I don't know whats normaly used, but I believe this to be
irrelevant.

> - I don't see the interest in playing with Drawers when only 2-4 outlets are
> linked in the UI. The Stop button is not even linked IIRC.
It isn't. But there are days where I feel like coding, and there are days
where I don't, and one day I though about how good UI could look like.

Well, thats what came out. It admit that it's rather useless at the moment, but all of
those neat buttons will actually work one day.

> - part of the code is strange (the part regarding the use of the NSApp
> runloop for instance), it may be correct but it's definitely not coded in an
> Objective-C way (style?).
I tried to fit Cocoa onto vlc. vlc was not designed with cocoa in mind, and
i wanted to avoid changing anything outside of the macosx folder.

Anyway, might easily be that I got something wrong there, and that it's
causing the crashes...

> That was my original will as soon as I saw the GUI Front-End was switched to
> Cocoa. The problem is that the current source code is not compiling at all
> (a simple example is the use of a TestMethod which is defined nowhere). I'm
> not able to help on the engine since it's too complex for me but on the GUI
> I may be of some help.
I suggest you work on the v0_2_92_branch. We should get 0.2.92 stable before
attempting to port things over the the new vout4 architecture.

greetings, Florian Pflug