0.4.1&0.4.0 Linux&Windows client MPEG2 PS&TS broken?

Johann Hanne jonny at 1409.org
Wed Jul 3 19:14:14 CEST 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Tristan Leteurtre wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002, Johann Hanne wrote:

> > > I don't think that's an assumption you can make.
> > > I'd start off by grabbing a known MPEG2 file
> > > from
> > >   ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/streams/presentation/
> > >
> > > such as presentation_short.vob and make sure you can play
> > > that file.  (Sorry if that's what you did, but it looks
> > > like vlc isn't happy reading the file, and just gives
> > > up without a lot of effort).
> > ok, the files from this directory work fine. But what can I do to find out
> > what's wrong with my files? The TS file is directly recorded with a DVB
> > card (with only two PIDs, 110 and 120)
>
> I guess it is a WinDVB-S or so ...
It's a Siemens-DVB-C card with MPEG2-Decoder, i.e. full-featured unlike
the Nova budget-cards.

> how did you obtain the stream ? With
> DVBset ? Do you have only 2 pids, or you have also the PAT and the PMT ?
It has been recorded with a simple C program which simply tells the
dumuxer (via /dev/ost/demux) to only let through PIDs 110 and 120 and then
records the stream by reading from /dev/ost/dvr.
The program stream has been generated from the transport stream by ts2ps
coming with the DVB driver package.

> What messages gives you the vlc ?
With the program stream:
[jonny at dh3mb tmp]$ vlc -vvv ps1.mpg
VideoLAN Client - version 0.4.1_2002-06-25 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002
VideoLAN

module: checking built-in modules
module: new builtin module `idct', IDCT module
module: new builtin module `idctclassic', classic IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motion', motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `imdct', AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix', AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_rgb', I420,IYUV,YV12 to
RGB,RV15,RV16,RV24,RV32 conversions
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_yuy2', conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv,Y211
module: new builtin module `chroma_i422_yuy2', conversions from I422 to
YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv,Y211
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_ymga', conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YMGA
module: new builtin module `mpeg_adec', MPEG I/II layer 1/2 audio decoder
module: new builtin module `ac3_adec', software AC3 decoder
module: new builtin module `mpeg_vdec', MPEG I/II video decoder module
module: new builtin module `memcpymmx', MMX memcpy module
module: new builtin module `idctmmx', MMX IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmx', MMX motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_rgb_mmx', MMX I420,IYUV,YV12 to
RV15,RV16,RV24,RV32 conversions
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_yuy2_mmx', MMX conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv
module: new builtin module `chroma_i422_yuy2_mmx', MMX conversions from
I422 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_ymga_mmx', MMX conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YMGA
module: new builtin module `memcpymmxext', MMX EXT memcpy module
module: new builtin module `idctmmxext', MMX EXT IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmxext', MMXEXT motion compensation
module
module: new builtin module `memcpy3dn', 3D Now! memcpy module
module: new builtin module `imdct3dn', 3D Now! AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix3dn', 3D Now! AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `imdctsse', SSE AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmixsse', SSE AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `xvideo', XVideo extension module
module: checking plugin modules
module: browsing `.'
module: browsing `plugins'
module: browsing `/usr/local/lib/videolan/vlc'
module: new plugin module `dummy', dummy functions module
module: new plugin module `null', the Null module that does nothing
module: new plugin module `rc', remote control interface module
module: new plugin module `logger', file logging interface module
module: new plugin module `mpeg_es', ISO 13818-2 MPEG Elementary Stream
input
module: new plugin module `mpeg_ps', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Program Stream input
module: new plugin module `mpeg_ts', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Transport Stream
input
module: new plugin module `mpeg_audio', MPEG I/II Audio stream demux
module: new plugin module `file', Standard filesystem file reading
module: new plugin module `udp', Raw UDP access plug-in
module: new plugin module `http', HTTP access plug-in
module: new plugin module `ipv4', IPv4 network abstraction layer
module: new plugin module `memcpy', libc memcpy module
module: new plugin module `lpcm_adec', linear PCM audio decoder
module: new plugin module `ac3_spdif', SPDIF pass-through AC3 decoder
module: new plugin module `spudec', DVD subtitles decoder module
module: new plugin module `filter_deinterlace', deinterlacing module
module: new plugin module `filter_invert', invert video module
module: new plugin module `filter_wall', image wall video module
module: new plugin module `filter_transform', image transformation module
module: new plugin module `filter_distort', miscellaneous video effects
module
module: new plugin module `filter_clone', image clone video module
module: new plugin module `filter_crop', image crop video module
module: new plugin module `fx_scope', scope effect module
module: new plugin module `vcd', VCD input module
module: new plugin module `ipv6', IPv6 network abstraction layer
module: new plugin module `avi', RIFF-AVI Stream input
module: new plugin module `x11', X11 module
module: new plugin module `sdl', Simple DirectMedia Layer module
module: new plugin module `fb', Linux console framebuffer module
module: new plugin module `dsp', Linux OSS /dev/dsp module
module: new plugin module `gtk', Gtk+ interface module
module: module bank initialized, found 61 modules
config: config file /home/jonny/.videolan/vlcrc doesn't already exist
intf: playlist initialized
intf: added `ps1.mpg' to playlist
module: locking memcpy module `memcpymmx'
module: locking interface module `gtk'
intf: interface initialized
intf: creating new input thread
input: playlist item `ps1.mpg'
thread info: 1026 (input) has been created (src/input/input.c:196)
input: access `', demux `', name `ps1.mpg'
input : VCD plugin discarded (not a valid drive)
input: opening file `ps1.mpg'
module: locking access module `file'
input: TS plug-in discarded (no sync)
input: RIFF-AVI plug-in discarded (avi_file)
input: ES plug-in discarded (no startcode)
input error: this doesn't look like an MPEG PS stream, but continuing
anyway
input warning: garbage (0x6b48dbdd)
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
module: locking decoder module `mpeg_vdec'
module: locking motion module `motionmmx'
module: locking iDCT module `idctmmx'
thread info: 2051 (decoder) has been created (src/input/input_dec.c:82)
module: locking decoder module `mpeg_adec'
thread info: 3076 (decoder) has been created (src/input/input_dec.c:82)
module: locking demux module `mpeg_ps'
input warning: garbage (0x6b48dbdd)
aout: no aout present, spawning one
vpar: no vout present, spawning one
vout: found adaptor 0, port 69, image format 0x32315659 (YV12) planar
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
module: locking video output module `xvideo'
vout info: got 8 direct buffer(s)
vout info: picture in 720x576, chroma 0x30323449 (I420), aspect ratio 16:9
vout info: picture out 720x576, chroma 0x32315659 (YV12), aspect ratio
16:9
vout info: direct render, mapping render pictures 0-6 to system pictures
1-7
thread info: 4101 (video output) has been created
(src/video_output/video_output.c:211)
vout: video display resized (1016x576)
vpar synchro warning: pts != current_date (-65618092289)
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from B[1] to B[2]
module: hiding unused plugin module `ipv6'
module: hiding unused plugin module `fx_scope'
module: hiding unused plugin module `avi'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_crop'
module: hiding unused plugin module `vcd'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_clone'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_distort'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_transform'
module: hiding unused plugin module `fb'
module: hiding unused plugin module `x11'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_wall'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_invert'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_deinterlace'
module: hiding unused plugin module `ac3_spdif'
module: hiding unused plugin module `memcpy'
module: hiding unused plugin module `ipv4'
module: hiding unused plugin module `http'
module: hiding unused plugin module `spudec'
module: hiding unused plugin module `udp'
module: hiding unused plugin module `lpcm_adec'
module: hiding unused plugin module `logger'
module: hiding unused plugin module `rc'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_audio'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_ts'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_es'
module: hiding unused plugin module `null'
module: hiding unused plugin module `dummy'
input: EOF reached
module: unlocking module `idctmmx'
module: unlocking module `motionmmx'
thread info: 2051 has been joined ((unknown):0)
module: unlocking module `mpeg_vdec'
intf error: signal 2 received, exiting - do it again if vlc gets stuck
module: unlocking module `gtk'
intf error: user insisted too much, dying badly
[jonny at dh3mb tmp]$

With the transport stream:
[jonny at dh3mb tmp]$ vlc -vvv ts1.mpg
[...]

intf: added `ts1.mpg' to playlist
module: locking memcpy module `memcpymmx'
module: locking interface module `gtk'
intf: interface initialized
intf: creating new input thread
input: playlist item `ts1.mpg'
thread info: 1026 (input) has been created (src/input/input.c:196)
input: access `', demux `', name `ts1.mpg'
input : VCD plugin discarded (not a valid drive)
input: opening file `ts1.mpg'
module: locking access module `file'
module: locking demux module `mpeg_ts'
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
input: EOF reached
module: unlocking module `mpeg_ts'
input: closing `/:ts1.mpg'
module: unlocking module `file'
thread info: 1026 has been joined ((unknown):0)
module: hiding unused plugin module `dsp'
module: hiding unused plugin module `fb'
module: hiding unused plugin module `sdl'
[...]
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_ps'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_es'
module: hiding unused plugin module `null'
module: hiding unused plugin module `file'
module: hiding unused plugin module `dummy'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_ts'
intf error: signal 2 received, exiting - do it again if vlc gets stuck
module: unlocking module `gtk'
intf: removed `ts1.mpg' from playlist
intf: playlist destroyed
module: unlocking module `memcpymmx'
intf: program terminated
[jonny at dh3mb tmp]$

When trying to play the program stream, vlc opens an output window with
the correct size and the window keeps open for the correct length of the
video. However, the output window stays black and there is no sound.
When trying to play the transport stream, vlc does not open any output
window and the progress indicator in the user interface window jumps from
the left to the right side in less than a second.

I'm using a PII-400/256 MB RAM/NVidia Riva TNT2 system with RedHat 7.3 and
the nvidia closed source drivers. vlc has been compiled from source and i've
tried 0.4.1 and 0.4.0. I've also tried the win32 version of vlc with the
same results.

> Maybe you could try to upload it on the videolan's ftp.
I've uploaded the files to
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming/jonny@1409.org-ts1.mpg
and
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming/jonny@1409.org-ps1.mpg.

Some other question: I've already tried to use vls with my DVB-C card.
But it seems to insist to set the satellite parameters (which doesn't work
obviously) and it seems to only support the Nova-like cards as I can't
find any parameter to set the PIDs?

BTW: I have some basic C knowledge, so if I can do anything to get around
this problem, just let me know.

Cheers, Jonny <jonny at 1409.org>