Info sur VLC avec Quicktime 6

Marco Alanen marco at sbg.se
Wed Jul 10 14:04:37 CEST 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:11:46 +0200
Samuel Hocevar <sam at zoy.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002, Loïc Minier wrote:
>
> >   So the welcome message is a good idea, but if their first post is in
> > french it is often because they have never been warned about this and
> > didn't receive a welcome message either: they just didn't subscribe.
>
>    Christophe was talking about a standard message that the moderators
> would send to the people posting in French.
>
>    Honestly, there are some messages that I fail to understand properly
> because of mediocre grammar and speling. Not to mention technical
> discussions that only a couple of people can understand, about a
> specific part of the MPEG standard, or the API of a certain OS. Well,
> if you don't understand them, either try to get the required background
> knowledge, or ignore them.
>
>    I'm not saying that these people should not be educated or kindly
> asked to speak English. But refusing their messages might just
> discourage them to post at all and I find this behaviour pretty rude.
> It's like refusing a patch because it was not uuencoded </EOEMB>.

Personally I think posting non english posts on an international list
is as close to rude you can get. I guess they CAN write in english and
even bad english is easier to read than perfect french if you, like me,
don't understand a single word of French, German, Swahili whatever.

And it's not like refusing a non uuencoded patch. It's more like refusing
a patch where every class, function and variable is written in swedish.

 /Marco

----------------------------
Embedded RT System Developer

Marco Alanen