hardware acceleration on Win32

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Jul 13 12:57:46 CEST 2002

On Friday 12 July 2002 18:26, Keith Jacobs wrote:

> I'm using vlc win32 on various PC's with PIII 900~1000Mhz processors. On
one PC performance is really bad, with 100% CPU loading except when I
shrink the window down to a very small size. I think the graphics support
HWMC and overlay but I can't be sure vlc correctly uses them. I assume vlc
uses HW acceleration if it's there, or am I misunderstanding something.

You can tell if vlc is using hardware acceleration from what is written in
the video window title bar. If you see something like "VLC DirectX (using
hardware overlay)" or "VLC DirectX (using hardware YUV->RGB conversion)"
then it is using hardware acceleration.

You should also try to play with the configuration options of the directx
plugin in the "preferences" menu, the "use video buffers in system memory"
one may help a bit.

The fact that you need to shrink the window to a small size to reduce the
CPU usage seems to indicate that vlc doesn't make use of any hardware
acceleration at all.

Regards,

--
Gildas

PS: by the way VLC doesn't make use of HWMC. It would be a nice feature to
have but would require much work.