hardware acceleration on Win32

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sun Jul 14 12:15:36 CEST 2002

On Sunday 14 July 2002 11:43, Keith Jacobs wrote:
> The video window says "vlc DirectX" only. Does this mean no HW
acceleration at all is in use. The PC is supposed to have Hardware overlay
support, is there any reason why vlc would not use it?

Yes, no HW acceleration is used.
Your graphics card may still support overlays but not the kind we are
looking for. VLC outputs frames in YV12 color format (see
http://www.webartz.com/fourcc/) so we require the graphics card to be able
to display YV12 overlays which it doesn't seem to be able to do.

However, we are currently working on a scheme which would allow us to find
the closest possible mode supported by your graphics card and use this with
a color format conversion plugin. This will allow graphics cards that don't
support YV12 overlays to still be able to benefit from some kind of HW
acceleration.
This work should be ready for the next major release of VLC (0.5.0).

Regards,

--
Gildas