Mac OS X - Multicast UDP not working?

Johnny Turpin jturpin at minervanetworks.com
Fri Jul 19 19:11:41 CEST 2002

> Johnny Turpin <jturpin at minervanetworks.com>:
>
> > Unfortunately, I am unable to tune-into any of the
> multicast streams we
> > have
> > setup on our network. The content is MPEG-2 transport being
> multicast
> > over
> > UDP.
>
> Where does this stream come from ? VideoLAN Server ?

We have a complete IP based Video Headend setup here with approx. 30
channels of "live tv" multicast MPEG-2 TS (from various sources) plus
several nCube VOD servers.

What I have noticed is that the multicast coming from a DVB source does
indeed playback somewhat ok (I do see occasional lip-sync problems and
pausing in the decoder). So for these sources, the path looks like this:
satellite--->IRD--->Digicipher Decoder---->DVB/ASI------>DVB to IP
demultiplexer----->VLC on Mac. I do get video and audio on these streams. It
looks like every 3 or 4 seconds, the decoder pauses and resyncs, so it is
not flawless playback.

Typically the DVB streams originate from a General Instruments, Scientific
Atlanta, or Divicom encoder, and are VBR MPEG-2 in the range of 2-6 mbs, and
have AC-3 audio.

So what is not working are the streams coming from the encoders that we
make, which theoretically should be much easier to decode as they are very
well behaved MPEG-2 CBR with MPEG layer 2 audio. The source to the encoders
are usually composite video from DVD players or composite video from
satellite IRD receivers. I have an entire rack of IP based STBs which I can
use to tune into all the channels and verify the streams, as well as a
Windows PC based client.

> > After typing in the correct address and correct port# of the Open
> > Network
> > dialog, I see the playhead on the remote speed to the end,
> but no video
> > is
> > ever displayed.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "I see the playhead on the remote
> speed to the end".

I am refering to the VideoLan Client controls window. The playhead is the
aqua tab which looks like it would be used to show position of playback from
a local stream. What happens is that it quickly goes to the end of the
control window (right side), but the video window never comes up.

> > Are there any debugging tools or commands I can use to
> figure out what
> > is
> > going on?
>
> You can try launching VLC using Terminal.app :
> cd vlc-0.4.2
> ./vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc -vvvvvvvvv --stats
> udp:@239.239.239.1:1234

Cool, I will try this out!