Mac OS X - Multicast UDP not working?

Johnny Turpin jturpin at minervanetworks.com
Fri Jul 19 19:47:18 CEST 2002

> You can try launching VLC using Terminal.app :
> cd vlc-0.4.2
> ./vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc -vvvvvvvvv --stats
> udp:@239.239.239.1:1234

ok, here is what the output looks like from the stream that doesn't work:

vlc -vvvvvvvvv --stats udp:@239.255.1.1:3001

module: checking built-in modules
module: new builtin module `idct', IDCT module
module: new builtin module `idctclassic', classic IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motion', motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `imdct', AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix', AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_rgb', I420,IYUV,YV12 to
RGB,RV15,RV16,RV24,RV32 conversions
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_yuy2', conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv,Y211
module: new builtin module `chroma_i422_yuy2', conversions from I422 to
YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv,Y211
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_ymga', conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YMGA
module: new builtin module `mpeg_adec', MPEG I/II layer 1/2 audio decoder
module: new builtin module `ac3_adec', software AC3 decoder
module: new builtin module `mpeg_vdec', MPEG I/II video decoder module
module: new builtin module `idctaltivec', Altivec IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionaltivec', AltiVec motion compensation
module
module: new builtin module `memcpyaltivec', AltiVec memcpy module
module: new builtin module `ffmpeg', ffmpeg video decoder
(MSMPEG4v123,MPEG4)
module: new builtin module `a52', a52 ATSC A/52 aka AC-3 audio decoder
module
module: new builtin module `macosx', MacOS X interface, sound and video
module
module: new builtin module `dummy', dummy functions module
module: new builtin module `null', the Null module that does nothing
module: new builtin module `rc', remote control interface module
module: new builtin module `logger', file logging interface module
module: new builtin module `mpeg_es', ISO 13818-2 MPEG Elementary Stream
input
module: new builtin module `mpeg_ps', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Program Stream input
module: new builtin module `mpeg_ts', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Transport Stream
input
module: new builtin module `mpeg_audio', MPEG I/II Audio stream demux
module: new builtin module `file', Standard filesystem file reading
module: new builtin module `udp', Raw UDP access plug-in
module: new builtin module `http', HTTP access plug-in
module: new builtin module `ipv4', IPv4 network abstraction layer
module: new builtin module `memcpy', libc memcpy module
module: new builtin module `lpcm_adec', linear PCM audio decoder
module: new builtin module `ac3_spdif', SPDIF pass-through AC3 decoder
module: new builtin module `spudec', DVD subtitles decoder module
module: new builtin module `filter_deinterlace', deinterlacing module
module: new builtin module `filter_invert', invert video module
module: new builtin module `filter_wall', image wall video module
module: new builtin module `filter_transform', image transformation module
module: new builtin module `filter_distort', miscellaneous video effects
module
module: new builtin module `filter_clone', image clone video module
module: new builtin module `filter_crop', image crop video module
module: new builtin module `fx_scope', scope effect module
module: new builtin module `dvd', DVD input module, uses libdvdcss
module: new builtin module `mpeg_ts_dvbpsi', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Transport
Stream input (libdvbpsi)
module: new builtin module `vcd', VCD input module
module: new builtin module `avi', RIFF-AVI Stream input
module: new builtin module `mad', libmad MPEG 1/2/3 audio decoder library
module: module bank initialized, found 48 modules
config: opening config file /Users/jturpin/.videolan/vlcrc
config: config file /Users/jturpin/.videolan/vlcrc doesn't already exist
info: CPU has capabilities : Altivec FPU
intf: playlist initialized
intf: added `udp:@239.255.1.1:3001' to playlist
module: locking memcpy module `memcpyaltivec'
module: locking interface module `macosx'
intf: interface initialized
intf: creating new input thread
input: playlist item `udp:@239.255.1.1:3001'
thread info: 20843264 (input) has been created (src/input/input.c:197)
input: access `udp', demux `', name `@239.255.1.1:3001'
input: opening server=:0 local=239.255.1.1:3001
ipv4 warning: cannot configure socket (SO_RCVBUF: No buffer space available)
ipv4 warning: socket buffer size is 0xa280 instead of 0x80000
module: locking network module `ipv4'
module: unlocking module `ipv4'
module: locking access module `udp'
intf: added `udp:@239.255.1.1:3001' to playlist
module: unlocking module `udp'
thread info: 20843264 has been joined ((unknown):0)
intf: creating new input thread
input: playlist item `udp:@239.255.1.1:3001'
thread info: 29457968 (input) has been created (src/input/input.c:197)
input: access `udp', demux `', name `@239.255.1.1:3001'
input: opening server=:0 local=239.255.1.1:3001
ipv4 warning: cannot configure socket (SO_RCVBUF: No buffer space available)
ipv4 warning: socket buffer size is 0xa280 instead of 0x80000
module: locking network module `ipv4'
module: unlocking module `ipv4'
module: locking access module `udp'
module: locking demux module `mpeg_ts_dvbpsi'
input warning: garbage at input (7)
input warning: garbage at input (4c)
input warning: garbage at input (40)
input warning: garbage at input (d1)