DVDs not playing in windows vlc

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Jul 30 23:08:55 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 19:24, Roger Taylor wrote:
> From Gildas Bazin:
> > Looks like the "D:" drive letter doesn't correspond to your dvd drive.
> > If this is not the case, then could you give us more information on your
> > hardware configuration?
>
> D: does correspond to my DVD drive.  Strangely vlc is finding it now..
>
> Although I am experiencing other problems:
>
> If I attempt to play Alien (incompatible with the region of my drive) vlc
> locks up and stops responding.  Attempting to play it with 0.4.2 results
> in the exact same thing.
>
> If I attempt to play L.A. Confidential (compatible with the region of my
> drive and playable with the demo version of PowerDVD) it opens a Direct
> X window and shows a gray background.  The following is also observed:
> (with 0.4.1)
>
>   If I open another application, and have the focus on that, the
>   greyness is replaced by a frame from the movie every occasionally.
>   More of a infrequent slideshow.
>
>   If I leave it long enough, it gives up.
>
>   Attempting to play the same movie with 0.4.2 results in an access
>   violation pretty much immediately.

vlc-0.4.2 is completely unusable on win32. Could you try with this version
and see if it improves things:
http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/testing/vlc-win32-20020730.zip

If you are using WinNT/2K/XP and you'll need to be running as an
Administrator to be able to play dvd's encoded for another region. If this
still doesn't work you can also try to run vlc from a dos command box after
having typed "set DVDCSS_METHOD=title".

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas