DVDs not playing in windows vlc

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Jul 31 18:07:08 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 15:48, Roger Taylor wrote:
> From Gildas Bazin:
>
> > If this still doesn't work you can also try to run vlc from a dos
> > command box after having typed "set DVDCSS_METHOD=title".
>
> This works perfectly.  I didn't try playing a DVD through for more than
> a few seconds, but the sound worked as did the video for the few seconds
> I tried.  Given that the whole DVDs play as well as the limited sample,
> this frees me up to play my collection of varied region discs.
>
> Can you tell me what implications having to specify the DVDCSS_METHOD
> environment variable has for my use of VLC?   Does usage of VLC without
> it just use another method - so no difference to the user?

Following is an extract from the libdvdcss README file:

The behaviourof the library can be affected by changing an environment
variable:
  DVDCSS_METHOD={title|disc|key}: method for key decryption
    title: decrypted title key is guessed from the encrypted sectors of
           the stream. Thus it should work with a file as well as the
           DVD device. But it sometimes takes much time to decrypt a title
           key and may even fail. With this method, the key is only checked
           at the beginning of each title, so it won't work if the key
           changes in the middle of a title.
    disc: the disc key is first cracked ; then all title keys can be
           decrypted instantly, which allows us to check them often,
    key: the same as "disc" if you don't have a file with player keys at
           compilation time. If you do, the decryption of the disc key
           will be faster with this method. It is the one that was used by
           libcss.
           This is the default method,

Basically, the title method works better in your case because your dvd drive
is RPC2 region protected and using the title method makes libdvdcss rely
less on the dvd drive to decrypt the title key.

> Thanks for all your help Gildas, without it, I would have given up on
> VLC and would have suffered for the loss of not being able to use it.

You're welcome, it's always rewarding to see happy users :)

--
Gildas

PS: I think we'll have to consider making the DVDCSS_METHOD selection a
configuration option in vlc.