Compatibility bug in libdvdread-0.9.2-videolan

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Wed Jul 31 16:20:47 CEST 2002

Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>

>>The libdvdread installed on my machine is the videolan version and it
>>has the following bug:
>

>    The 0.9.2 file you found was just an old hack to get it to work with
> vlc, but since we do not plan to fork Ogle's libdvdread, you should
> install their libdvdread 0.9.3 and report the bug (if it's still there)
> to the Ogle people (I'm not sure they all read this list).
>
> Best regards,

Hmm,

http://www.videolan.org/vls/ tells me:

Software required

The libdvdread is required to play DVDs (please do not use the official version
if you want to play encrypted DVDs)

The "old hack" can still be downloaded from the verys same page page,
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/libdvdread/libdvdread-0.9.2-videolan.tar.gz

To make things worse, the above tarball extracts as libdvdread-0.9.2, *not*
libdvdread-0.9.2-videolan, so you are not aware, that you are using a hacked,
"videolan" version. This happened to me, i installed libdvdread-0.9.2-videolan
as i was told on your web page, and when i installed transcode several weeks
later, i wondered why it didn't work!

Regards,

Heinrich