Suggestion

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sun Jun 2 02:13:03 CEST 2002

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002, Matt Davis wrote:
> Actually this is more a wish...  I noticed that in Version 4.0 you
> allowed Divx/Mpeg 4 Playback, What I would really like to see is
> Videolan Being able to play Divx DVDs.  When I run Divx DVDs in VideoLan
> it goes to a screen on the DVD that says that you are using a DVD Player
> that is not Divx compatible.  It would be great if VideoLAN recognized
> that it was a Divx dvd so it could play them!

   Be careful, DivX (capital D, capital X) is a file format recognized
by vlc with some relationship with MPEG4, while the Divx in "Divx
DVD" comes from its creator Digital Video Express and is, as far as I
understand, a rip-off DVD format which kinda self-destructs after a
while.

   I may be mistaken, but playing Divx DVDs on a computer would be more
of a hardware problem; I don't see any reason why vlc couldn't read
them. Did you try reading an alternate title or chapter?

--
Sam.