bug report for release 0.4.1

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jun 19 01:29:08 CEST 2002

Hi,

the new release compiles fine.
Here are some observations I made:

1) When I try to play an mpeg file, vlc attempts to use libmad
as audio decoder. This results in sound which varies its pitch
and sometimes has drop outs. Using mpeg_adec instead
resolves this problem. However, libmad works fine with avi
files. Can this be due to the particular mpeg file?

2) aalib allows now resizing. However, the aspect ratio is not
kept. Moreover, when resizing an mpge file, the lines get messed
up, i.e. the picture seems to be tilted at a certain angle depending
on the aspect ratio of the resized window relative to the correct
aspect ratio. With avi files, aalib does not show this strange
tilting. (I don't know whether this is generic or due to my selection
of test files.)

3) Using the deinterlace filter with mode 'blend' results in a crash
with the message:
Xlib: async reply (some hex number)!
Since I have only one DVD which needs deinterlacing (Independence
Day - Special Edition), and since mode 'bob' works ok, this is not that
serious.

4) I have read it once in the mailing list, but can't find it again. What
was the reason that libdvdcss now stops at almost all instances where
a new chapter starts and needs so much time until playback continues?
In earlier releases, this was never a problem. How can I circumvent this
problem?

Otherwise, as usual, a great product. If you now could get it to play
Quicktime  as well ;-)

Michael