WONDERFUL

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jun 19 11:37:51 CEST 2002

Tom K <zbgump at rcn.com> wrote:

> I am an artist/designer, so please excuse my ignorance but I must ask
> you a
> few questions.  First of all I'm running VLC on a g4 400 with Mac OS
> 10.1.5.
> Does your application use QuickTime?  I thought there was a bug in
> quicktime5 that prevented it from handling an AVI with mp3 audio?

We only use QuickTime for the video output (hardware-accelerated). We do not
use QuickTime for codecs. That's why we are not subject to the infamous AVI bug.

> Secondly, should I install any extra codec's to achieve maximum
> performance
> from your player

We do not use QuickTime codecs, so no, there is nothing you can do.

> It
> did
> stutter at few intense moments, but this could be attributed to the
> fact
> that I only have 128 megs of ram right now.

RAM shouldn't be a problem. If I were you I would consider quitting running
applications which may take CPU, for instance a mailer retrieving mail in the
background, an IRC client, ICQ... Type "top -u" in a terminal.app to see which
applications take CPU.