0.4.1&0.4.0 Linux&Windows client MPEG2 PS&TS broken?

Johann Hanne jonny at 1409.org
Wed Jun 26 20:26:06 CEST 2002

Hi all,

i have tried to play a MPEG2 program stream and MPEG2 transport stream
from a locally stored file with VLC 0.4.1 and 0.4.0. MPlayer plays the PS
file fine. Windows Media Player (with a MPEG2 demuxer) plays the PS and
the TS file fine. So both files should be ok.

(Yes, so I could use them to play the files, but I actually want to play a
TS/PS network stream under Windows, so this doesn't help. I just tried to
watch the files locally stored files with VLC because if local files don't
work it doesn't make sense to try out watching the network stream.)

My working environment is a PII-400 with 256 MB RAM, RedHat Linux 7.3
(kernel 2.4.18-rh, XFree86 4.2.0) and the NVidia closed source drivers.
VLC has been compiled from source.

When I try to play the program stream file, vlc opens an output window,
but the window stays black and no sound is played. The output window has
the correct size (768x576) and it remains open for the correct play time
of the movie, so vlc seems to recognize the program stream. When I try to
play the transport stream, not even the output window is opened and no
sound is played either. I have tried other videout-plugins (sdl and x11),
but it didn't help.

Playing a mpeg1 system stream works fine.

Here's the -vvv output when trying to play the program stream:
VideoLAN Client - version 0.4.1_2002-06-25 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002
VideoLAN

module: checking built-in modules
module: new builtin module `idct', IDCT module
module: new builtin module `idctclassic', classic IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motion', motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `imdct', AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix', AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_rgb', I420,IYUV,YV12 to
RGB,RV15,RV16,RV24,RV32 conversions
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_yuy2', conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv,Y211
module: new builtin module `chroma_i422_yuy2', conversions from I422 to
YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv,Y211
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_ymga', conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YMGA
module: new builtin module `mpeg_adec', MPEG I/II layer 1/2 audio decoder
module: new builtin module `ac3_adec', software AC3 decoder
module: new builtin module `mpeg_vdec', MPEG I/II video decoder module
module: new builtin module `memcpymmx', MMX memcpy module
module: new builtin module `idctmmx', MMX IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmx', MMX motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_rgb_mmx', MMX I420,IYUV,YV12 to
RV15,RV16,RV24,RV32 conversions
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_yuy2_mmx', MMX conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv
module: new builtin module `chroma_i422_yuy2_mmx', MMX conversions from
I422 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_ymga_mmx', MMX conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YMGA
module: new builtin module `memcpymmxext', MMX EXT memcpy module
module: new builtin module `idctmmxext', MMX EXT IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmxext', MMXEXT motion compensation
module
module: new builtin module `memcpy3dn', 3D Now! memcpy module
module: new builtin module `imdct3dn', 3D Now! AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix3dn', 3D Now! AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `imdctsse', SSE AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmixsse', SSE AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `xvideo', XVideo extension module
module: checking plugin modules
module: browsing `.'
module: browsing `plugins'
module: browsing `/usr/local/lib/videolan/vlc'
module: new plugin module `dummy', dummy functions module
module: new plugin module `null', the Null module that does nothing
module: new plugin module `rc', remote control interface module
module: new plugin module `logger', file logging interface module
module: new plugin module `mpeg_es', ISO 13818-2 MPEG Elementary Stream
input
module: new plugin module `mpeg_ps', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Program Stream input
module: new plugin module `mpeg_ts', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Transport Stream
input
module: new plugin module `mpeg_audio', MPEG I/II Audio stream demux
module: new plugin module `file', Standard filesystem file reading
module: new plugin module `udp', Raw UDP access plug-in
module: new plugin module `http', HTTP access plug-in
module: new plugin module `ipv4', IPv4 network abstraction layer
module: new plugin module `memcpy', libc memcpy module
module: new plugin module `lpcm_adec', linear PCM audio decoder
module: new plugin module `ac3_spdif', SPDIF pass-through AC3 decoder
module: new plugin module `spudec', DVD subtitles decoder module
module: new plugin module `filter_deinterlace', deinterlacing module
module: new plugin module `filter_invert', invert video module
module: new plugin module `filter_wall', image wall video module
module: new plugin module `filter_transform', image transformation module
module: new plugin module `filter_distort', miscellaneous video effects
module
module: new plugin module `filter_clone', image clone video module
module: new plugin module `filter_crop', image crop video module
module: new plugin module `fx_scope', scope effect module
module: new plugin module `vcd', VCD input module
module: new plugin module `ipv6', IPv6 network abstraction layer
module: new plugin module `avi', RIFF-AVI Stream input
module: new plugin module `x11', X11 module
module: new plugin module `sdl', Simple DirectMedia Layer module
module: new plugin module `fb', Linux console framebuffer module
module: new plugin module `dsp', Linux OSS /dev/dsp module
module: new plugin module `gtk', Gtk+ interface module
module: module bank initialized, found 61 modules
config: config file /home/jonny/.videolan/vlcrc doesn't already exist
intf: playlist initialized
intf: added `a.mpg' to playlist
module: locking memcpy module `memcpymmx'
module: locking interface module `gtk'
intf: interface initialized
intf: creating new input thread
input: playlist item `a.mpg'
thread info: 1026 (input) has been created (src/input/input.c:196)
input: access `', demux `', name `a.mpg'
input : VCD plugin discarded (not a valid drive)
input: opening file `a.mpg'
module: locking access module `file'
input: TS plug-in discarded (no sync)
input: RIFF-AVI plug-in discarded (avi_file)
input: ES plug-in discarded (system startcode)
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
module: locking decoder module `mpeg_vdec'
module: locking motion module `motionmmx'
module: locking iDCT module `idctmmx'
thread info: 2051 (decoder) has been created (src/input/input_dec.c:82)
module: locking decoder module `mpeg_adec'
thread info: 3076 (decoder) has been created (src/input/input_dec.c:82)
module: locking demux module `mpeg_ps'
aout: no aout present, spawning one
module: locking audio output module `dsp'
thread info: 4101 (audio output) has been created
(src/audio_output/audio_output.c:262)
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
aout info: signed 16 bits thread spawned, 2 channels, rate 44100
aout info: fifo #0 allocated, 2 channels, rate 48000, frame size 2304
vpar: no vout present, spawning one
vout: found adaptor 0, port 69, image format 0x32315659 (YV12) planar
module: locking video output module `xvideo'
vout info: got 8 direct buffer(s)
vout info: picture in 544x576, chroma 0x30323449 (I420), aspect ratio 4:3
vout info: picture out 544x576, chroma 0x32315659 (YV12), aspect ratio 4:3
vout info: direct render, mapping render pictures 0-6 to system pictures
1-7
thread info: 5126 (video output) has been created
(src/video_output/video_output.c:211)
vout: video display resized (767x576)
vpar synchro warning: pts != current_date (-5965192227)
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from B[1] to B[2]
module: hiding unused plugin module `ipv6'
module: hiding unused plugin module `avi'
module: hiding unused plugin module `fx_scope'
module: hiding unused plugin module `vcd'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_crop'
module: hiding unused plugin module `fb'
module: hiding unused plugin module `sdl'
module: hiding unused plugin module `x11'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_clone'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_distort'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_transform'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_wall'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_invert'
module: hiding unused plugin module `filter_deinterlace'
module: hiding unused plugin module `ac3_spdif'
module: hiding unused plugin module `memcpy'
module: hiding unused plugin module `spudec'
module: hiding unused plugin module `ipv4'
module: hiding unused plugin module `lpcm_adec'
module: hiding unused plugin module `http'
module: hiding unused plugin module `udp'
module: hiding unused plugin module `logger'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_audio'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_ts'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_es'
module: hiding unused plugin module `rc'
module: hiding unused plugin module `null'
module: hiding unused plugin module `dummy'
input: EOF reached
module: unlocking module `idctmmx'
module: unlocking module `motionmmx'
thread info: 2051 has been joined ((unknown):0)
module: unlocking module `mpeg_vdec'
aout info: fifo #0 destroyed
thread info: 3076 has been joined ((unknown):0)
module: unlocking module `mpeg_adec'
module: unlocking module `mpeg_ps'
input: closing `/:a.mpg'
module: unlocking module `file'
thread info: 1026 has been joined ((unknown):0)
thread info: 4101 has been joined ((unknown):0)
module: unlocking module `dsp'
module: unlocking module `xvideo'
thread info: 5126 has been joined ((unknown):0)
module: hiding unused plugin module `file'
module: hiding unused plugin module `mpeg_ps'
module: hiding unused plugin module `dsp'

I have also tried the 0.4.1 windows binary. But the window stayed gray.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Jonny <jonny at 1409.org>