SVCD Success in Mac OS X

Tim Anderson ande2965 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Mar 12 00:31:32 CET 2002

With a helpful suggestion and some trial-and-error, I did manage to
successfully play an SVCD in Mac OS X. I hope this helps anyone else
struggling with the same problem. The critical information is that vlc is
unable to play an SVCD directly from the disc.

My next biggest problem was getting the mpeg2 file off the CD. I don't know
if this is encoding specific or not, because I've only attempted one set of
SVCDs so far. Each attempt, whether in the finder, terminal, or Mac OS 9,
led to an IO error message saying some data could not be written. Usually
the resulting file was about a megabyte. The disc had worked fine on a
Windows PC, so this lead me to try Virtual PC. This finally worked. I was
able to copy the mpeg2 file from the CD in Windows and then drag that file
to my desktop.

Vlc was then able to play the file properly, although the sound was a little
off. Any help with that would be great.

Tim