compile videolan Client om win32 ?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu Mar 28 10:59:00 CET 2002

On Thursday 28 March 2002 08:56, Schwager, Andreas wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I like to compile VLC natively on a win 2k platform.
> In INSTALL-win32.txt you write this will come soon. (There will be an
> investigation on cygwin+mingw32)
>
> Could you give me a feeling when you like to do this job ?
> Is this already in progress ?

Here is a mail I sent a few weeks ago. If you still have problems compiling
after this then feel free to ask questions.

( note: your really need MSYS 1.0.5, the last version 1.0.6 doesn't seem to
work as well)

MSYS 1.0.5 is out and compiling vlc with it under windows is a piece of
cake
:)

For those who don't know MSYS, it's a minimal build environnement to
compile unixish projects under windows. (it provides all the common unix
tools like sh, gmake...).

To compile vlc under windows:
1. Download msys 1.0.5 and mingw 1.1 from www.mingw.org
2. follow the msys instructions (basically extract msys in c:\, extract
mingw in c:\msys\1.0\mingw. Becareful about CR/LF conversions when you
extract msys)
3. go into your vlc directory and type "MAKE=gmake ./configure" and then
"MAKE=gmake gmake"

And that's it :)

Well I had a few little problems but nothing serious: ./configure doesn't
pass the "ggc groks altivec" test and you have to kill the cc1.exe process
to unblock the script, also I had to run configure twice to have defs.h
created (?) and I sometimes had to re-run gmake because it would complain
that it couldn't create a .dep directorie (but as soon as you re-run it
everything works)

Happy compiling.

I forgot to say that on http://www.videolan.org/vlc/windows.html you can
now find a directx development package (directx header files) as well as a
gtk package. These are needed to compile a useable VideoLan Client.