VideoLAN Client 0.3.1 libdvdcss snag

David Legg David.Legg at legg.uklinux.net
Thu May 2 23:04:17 CEST 2002

OK, fixed it; my vlc is now great!

I set AOUT_BUFFER_DURATION to 40000. Anything between 30000 and 45000
seems to work, but 40000 seems best. Setting it 25000 or 100000 doesn't
work, I still get clicks, but 40000 is spiffing. I suspect that it's
just a matter of getting the audio processing out of sync with the video
frame 25Hz updates?

Also, to get 25 frames per second without drop-outs I put
INPUT_PREPARSE_LENGTH up from 4 MB to 30MB and INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION up
to 80MB.

Increasing AOUT_FIFO_SIZE to 2047 (from 255) seemed to help economise on
processor usage too. All these are #defines in include/config.h.

So if anyone else out there is struggling to vlc running on 400MHz
pentium with lots of memory, I hope this is useful info.

Roll on the decoding of all the DVD menu-ey stuff, guys ....