VLC 0.3.1 on Win2000: Freezes when trying to read encrypted DVD

Thomas Schaumburg Thomas.Schaumburg at hiq.dk
Sat May 4 19:11:53 CEST 2002

Hi everybody,

I just downloaded the binary VLC 0.3.1 release for win32, and installed it
on my Win2000 laptop.

However, when I run the application, and do the following:

	1. Press the "Open a DVD or VCD" button
	2. Enter "F:" as the device name
	3. Press OK

the DVD drive hums for a few seconds, and then the VLC user interface block
completely (without playing any DVD). In fact, I have to kill it using the
task manager (BTW: if I leave VLC in the frozen state and later eject the
DVD manually, VLC will pop up an error dialog box, so it's apparently not
entirely dead...)

My DVD drive IS available (at least I can see the VOB files etc. on the disk
using regular DIR commands).

VLC doesn't give me any sort of error messages or diagnostics, but when I
run it using

	vlc -vvvvv --intf=logger

it gives me the vlc.log file attached below. I cannot figure out how to
actually try to play a DVD *and* produce a log at the same time.

Here are my system facts:

	Model: Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop
	Adapter: Rage Mobility P AGP
	Display: 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz 15,4" TFT display
	OS: Windows 2000 Professional (no SP's)
	RAM: 256 MB
	DVD drive: Torisan DVD-ROM DRD-U624
	DVD movie: X-Men (UK edition, zone 2)

And yes - I *AM* running as administrator.

-- log plugin started --
VideoLAN Client - version 0.3.1 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002 VideoLAN

module: new builtin module `main', Main program
module: checking built-in modules
module: new builtin module `idct', IDCT module
module: new builtin module `idctclassic', classic IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motion', motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `imdct', AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix', AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_rgb', I420,IYUV,YV12 to
RGB,RV15,RV16,RV24,RV32 conversions
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_yuy2', conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv,Y211
module: new builtin module `chroma_i422_yuy2', conversions from I422 to
YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv,Y211
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_ymga', conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YMGA
module: new builtin module `mpeg_adec', Mpeg I layer 1/2 audio decoder
module: new builtin module `ac3_adec', software AC3 decoder
module: new builtin module `mpeg_vdec', MPEG I/II video decoder module
module: new builtin module `memcpymmx', MMX memcpy module
module: new builtin module `idctmmx', MMX IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmx', MMX motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_rgb_mmx', MMX I420,IYUV,YV12 to
RV15,RV16,RV24,RV32 conversions
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_yuy2_mmx', MMX conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv
module: new builtin module `chroma_i422_yuy2_mmx', MMX conversions from I422
to YUY2,YUNV,YVYU,UYVY,UYNV,Y422,IUYV,cyuv
module: new builtin module `chroma_i420_ymga_mmx', MMX conversions from
I420,IYUV,YV12 to YMGA
module: new builtin module `memcpymmxext', MMX EXT memcpy module
module: new builtin module `idctmmxext', MMX EXT IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmxext', MMXEXT motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `memcpy3dn', 3D Now! memcpy module
module: new builtin module `imdct3dn', 3D Now! AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix3dn', 3D Now! AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `dvd', DVD input module, uses libdvdcss
module: checking plugin modules
module: browsing `.'
module: browsing `plugins'
module: new plugin module `dummy', dummy functions module
module: new plugin module `null', the Null module that does nothing
module: new plugin module `rc', remote control interface module
module: new plugin module `logger', file logging interface module
module: new plugin module `mpeg_es', ISO 13818-2 MPEG Elementary Stream
input
module: new plugin module `mpeg_ps', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Program Stream input
module: new plugin module `mpeg_ts', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Transport Stream input
module: new plugin module `file', Standard filesystem file reading
module: new plugin module `udp', Raw UDP access plug-in
module: new plugin module `http', HTTP access plug-in
module: new plugin module `ipv4', IPv4 network abstraction layer
module: new plugin module `memcpy', libc memcpy module
module: new plugin module `lpcm_adec', Linear PCM audio decoder
module: new plugin module `ac3_spdif', SPDIF pass-through AC3 decoder
module: new plugin module `spudec', DVD subtitles decoder module
module: new plugin module `filter_deinterlace', deinterlacing module
module: new plugin module `filter_invert', invert video module
module: new plugin module `filter_wall', image wall video module
module: new plugin module `filter_transform', image transformation module
module: new plugin module `filter_distort', miscellaneous video effects
module
module: new plugin module `fx_scope', scope effect module
module: new plugin module `directx', DirectX extension module
module: new plugin module `waveout', Win32 waveOut extension module
module: new plugin module `intfwin', Win32 interface module
module: browsing `/usr/local/lib/videolan/vlc'
module: module bank initialized, found 51 modules
config error: unable to get home directory, using
C:\DOCUME~1\Thomas\LOCALS~1\Temp instead
config: opening config file C:\DOCUME~1\Thomas\LOCALS~1\Temp/vi