Problem...

John Mellor John at Kungfu-tse.net
Fri May 10 12:20:08 CEST 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002 22:41:41 +0200
Gildas Bazin <gbazin at netcourrier.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 May 2002 20:33, John Mellor wrote:
> >
> > vlc loads up Ok but when I try to open a dvd I get lots of info (using
> > vlc-vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv), the relevant bit seeming to be the following:
> > vpar: no vout present, spawning one vout: no free XVideo port found
> > for format 0x30323449 (I420) vout: no free XVideo port found for
> > format 0x32595559(YUY2) vout: no free XVideo port found for format
> > 0x36315652 (RV16) module: locking video output module `xmga'
>
> This is definitely not right. I don't know why vlc is trying to use the
> xmga plugin because this plugin shouldn't even be there. This is an
> experimental and broken plugin.
> After trying the xvideo plugin, vlc should have tried the x11 plugin and
> I'm not exactly sure why it didn't try it.
>
> Could you force vlc to use x11 with "vlc --vout x11" and see what
> happens ? Also make sure you actually have the x11 plugin installed. Try
> "vlc -l" and check it is in the list. If not, that could mean you have
> to install something like a vlc-x11 package.
>

> > And how do I work the xvideo extension?
>
> Well, if your graphics card has support for this and you also make sure
> you've got a recent version of Xfree86 (something like 4.1.0 or 4.2.0)
> than it should work out of the box. If it doesn't than you are out of
> luck.
>
> --
> Gildas
>
> --

Thanks Gildas

vlc -l listed both x11 and xvideo extension, not to mention xmga!  I tried
vlc --xvideo but was told the module was unavailable.  vlc --plugin xvideo
listed three options, so it obviously is there.  vlc --x11 worked and the
thing fired up, but stopped very quickly with the following error:

libdvdcss error: fatal error in vts css key

Sorry to be a nuisance, but can you still help?
I have the following /usr/lib/libdvdcss files:
libdvdcss.a - libdvdcss.so.2 - libdvdcss.so and libdvdcss.so.2.0.1, having
installed libdvdcss2 and libdvdcss2-devel.