Problem...

John Mellor John at Kungfu-tse.net
Wed May 15 09:53:44 CEST 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002 11:20:08 +0100
John Mellor <John at Kungfu-tse.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 May 2002 22:41:41 +0200
> Gildas Bazin <gbazin at netcourrier.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 08 May 2002 20:33, John Mellor wrote:
> > >
> > > vlc loads up Ok but when I try to open a dvd I get lots of info
> > > (using vlc-vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv), the relevant bit seeming to be the
> > > following: vpar: no vout present, spawning one vout: no free XVideo
> > > port found for format 0x30323449 (I420) vout: no free XVideo port
> > > found for format 0x32595559(YUY2) vout: no free XVideo port found
> > > for format 0x36315652 (RV16) module: locking video output module
> > > `xmga'
> >
> > This is definitely not right. I don't know why vlc is trying to use
> > the xmga plugin because this plugin shouldn't even be there. This is
> > an experimental and broken plugin.
> > After trying the xvideo plugin, vlc should have tried the x11 plugin
> > and I'm not exactly sure why it didn't try it.
> >
> > Could you force vlc to use x11 with "vlc --vout x11" and see what
> > happens ? Also make sure you actually have the x11 plugin installed.
> > Try"vlc -l" and check it is in the list. If not, that could mean you
> > have to install something like a vlc-x11 package.
> >

> > > And how do I work the xvideo extension?
> >
> > Well, if your graphics card has support for this and you also make
> > sure you've got a recent version of Xfree86 (something like 4.1.0 or
> > 4.2.0) than it should work out of the box. If it doesn't than you are
> > out of luck.
> >
> > --
> > Gildas
> >
> > --
> >
> Thanks Gildas
>
> vlc -l listed both x11 and xvideo extension, not to mention xmga!  I
> tried vlc --xvideo but was told the module was unavailable.  vlc
> --plugin xvideo listed three options, so it obviously is there.  vlc
> --x11 worked and the thing fired up, but stopped very quickly with the
> following error:
>
> libdvdcss error: fatal error in vts css key
>
> Sorry to be a nuisance, but can you still help?
> I have the following /usr/lib/libdvdcss files:
> libdvdcss.a - libdvdcss.so.2 - libdvdcss.so and libdvdcss.so.2.0.1,
> having installed libdvdcss2 and libdvdcss2-devel.
>
>Gildas,

I've solved the dvdcss problem - libdvdcss was not installed properly!  I
get the same message initially as title 1 rushes from one end of the
progress bar to the other, but it then jumps to title 3 and starts again
properly!  Weird, but I can live with it.  It will only run with --vout
x11 although the xvideo module is clearly there.  And I fixed the
unsynchronised sound by installing vlc-esd and telling it to --desync 300
(which would not do the job in 0.2.9).  Any thoughts on the xvideo
business?  And I now cannot get the picture full screen as I could with
0.2.9; it simply expands the black surround and the picture remains the
same size.	Incidentally can anyone advise me on improving jerkiness with
hdparm and dma that I recall reading about here and there?  Otherwise I
like vlc, having tried Ogle (strange picture squashed up at the sides) and
xine (terrifyingly complicated interface and endless error messages) -
thanks to you all.

John