Broadcasting

fates-w at attbi.com fates-w at attbi.com
Fri May 10 18:53:46 CEST 2002

I can stream to a single IP ok but why doesn't broadcast
to subnet working? Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Per the videolan-quickstart-3

"just replace IP_client with IP_broadcast, which is the
Broadcast IP address of the subnet, in the command line
of vlms"

I am using 192.168.x.x IP addresses for my home network
I am using vls and I changed the IP in vls.cfg like so
and restarted vls and started a new telnet session to
vls server:

# ================== Channels configuration
==================

BEGIN "fates"    #broadcast test
  DstHost = "192.168.0.255"
  DstPort = "1234"
END

Here is my network info:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:5A:58:B0:FE
          inet addr:192.168.0.6  Bcast:192.168.0.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500
Metric:1

Do most networks cards and switches work with
multicasting?  I am going to try that next. I have
linksys switch. I will check with linksys site later