Pausing and Skipping during DVD Playback

Carlo Calabro murray at via.ecp.fr
Sat May 11 00:58:25 CEST 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002, philo vivero wrote:
> I've been using VLC now for about 1.5 years (since the bad old days). Very
> impressive, yes.
>
> Now I'm running 0.2.91, and I still have this bug:

Maybe you could try and download version 0.3.1... vlc has strongly
improved since 0.2.91...

> Guess 1: The Linux kernel isn't pre-emptable so IDE kernel calls to the
> DVD drive cause the VLC process to lose CPU too long.

There is an excellent patch to make a 2.4.18 pre-emptive. I have been
running it for a couple of months and it is doing a good job.

Hope this helps,

--
Murray

"I don't know which is worse, that everyone has his price, or that the
price is always so low."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes