Problem...

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed May 15 12:02:13 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 09:53, John Mellor wrote:

> It will only run with --vout x11 although the xvideo module is clearly
> there. Any thoughts on the xvideo business?

The fact that you"ve got the xvideo plugin for vlc doesn't mean you can use
xvideo. You also need to have the Xvideo extension supported by your
Xfree86 (Xwindow). Your best bet for this would be to install one of the
latest Xfree86 (4.1.0 or 4.2.0). There's a little program (xvinfo) shipped
with Xfree86 which can tell you if Xvideo is supported.

> And I now cannot get the picture full screen as I could with
> 0.2.9; it simply expands the black surround and the picture remains the
> same size.

This has been fixed and the next release will include the fix :)

> Incidentally can anyone advise me on improving jerkiness with
> hdparm and dma that I recall reading about here and there?

Basically you need to make sure your drive is using DMA.
hdparm -d 1 /dev/cdrom

Regards,

--
Gildas