VCL 0.3.1 and Mac OS X problems w/ VCDs & SVCDs

The DJ hartman at mac.com
Sat May 18 10:20:26 CEST 2002

Try not to use HTML mail in mailing lists please. That seriously decreases
the chance that your question is being read.

on 14-05-2002 07:46, Jeff Lebowski at the_dude at mac.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I¹m running Mac OS X 10.1.4 on a PowerMac G4 450MHz DP w/384MB of RAM and a
> 32MB GeForce 2MX-400.  I also have QT6 beta, Toast, and El Gato¹s SCSI CD-R
> .kext installed.  I¹ve tried all of the following on an iMac running Mac OS X
> 10.1.4, a 16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro, QT 5.0.2 and none of the other stuff
> installed, with the same results.   VCL is installed in ³Applications².  I
> can¹t get the standard version of VCL 0.3.1 to play either VCDs or SVCDs at
> all.  VCDs and SVCDs won¹t play from disc (via terminal), and SVCD won¹t play
> either off the disc (via terminal) or after moving the MPEG-2s to my HD (via
> Open File from the File menu).  The only thing that works consistently is
> opening SVCD .bins on my HD via Open File from the File Menu.
> I¹ve also tried the CVS snapshot .dmg posted by Christophe Massiot on 5/7/02.
> It works to open VCDs about one in every 20 to 30 tries via Open Disc in the
> File Menu, but it still won¹t have anything to do with SVCD via Open Disc or
> Open File.  Again, I can open SVCD .bins on my HD just fine.  The 5/12/02 .dmg
> CVS snapshot posted by Mr. Massiot won¹t even load.  It barely makes the Dock
> move and then quits without an error message...

Correct, this snapshot release was broken.

> The worst part about all these errors is that they aren¹t consistent at all.
> When trying to play a VCD or SVCD, the most common one I get in Terminal
> (using either 0.3.1 version) is:
> ³input: vcd: no movie tracks found
> module error: requested access module `vcd' unavailable
> input error: no suitable access plug-in for `vcd/:/dev/rdisk4'²
> But then, other times, with the same VCD or SVCD, I¹ll instead get:
> ³vcd error: could not read block 323670
> input: vcd: could not read sector 323670²
> Other times, I¹ll get:
> ³input error: read() failed (Input/output error)²
> Finally, some times it¹ll actually play in 0.3.1-05072002, usually if I pick
> Open Disc several times in a row very quickly.  And then, about 10 minutes ago
> while trying to get vlc 0.3.1-05072002 to open a VCD I got my first kernel
> panic in OS X...  It said something about IOCDStorage.

To me, this looks like a damaged/scratched VCD/SVCD.

> Is there something odd with my setup/install of VCL?  This is very
> frustrating, as MacVCD X can play my VCDs without problem, so I know it isn¹t
> a bad disc or two that are giving me these headaches.

Well, maybe MacVCD X is a bit more fault tolerant.

> And it would be great
> for SVCDs to work in some way other than having to keep .bins on my HD all the
> time.  That said, I¹m glad I can play SVCDs in any way shape or form on the
> Mac right now, so thanks for the port of your app!!!
> Any help is appreciated,
> Jeff

Maybe others can be of better assistence, but now you at least have an
answer.

DJ
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan 'The DJ' Hartman