VCL 0.3.1 and Mac OS X problems w/ VCDs & SVCDs

Jeff Lebowski the_dude at mac.com
Tue May 14 07:46:12 CEST 2002

Hi,
  I¹m running Mac OS X 10.1.4 on a PowerMac G4 450MHz DP w/384MB of RAM and
a 32MB GeForce 2MX-400.  I also have QT6 beta, Toast, and El Gato¹s SCSI
CD-R .kext installed.  I¹ve tried all of the following on an iMac running
Mac OS X 10.1.4, a 16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro, QT 5.0.2 and none of the other
stuff installed, with the same results.   VCL is installed in
³Applications².  I can¹t get the standard version of VCL 0.3.1 to play
either VCDs or SVCDs at all.  VCDs and SVCDs won¹t play from disc (via
terminal), and SVCD won¹t play either off the disc (via terminal) or after
moving the MPEG-2s to my HD (via Open File from the File menu).  The only
thing that works consistently is opening SVCD .bins on my HD via Open File
from the File Menu.
  I¹ve also tried the CVS snapshot .dmg posted by Christophe Massiot on
5/7/02.  It works to open VCDs about one in every 20 to 30 tries via Open
Disc in the File Menu, but it still won¹t have anything to do with SVCD via
Open Disc or Open File.  Again, I can open SVCD .bins on my HD just fine.
The 5/12/02 .dmg CVS snapshot posted by Mr. Massiot won¹t even load.  It
barely makes the Dock move and then quits without an error message...
  The worst part about all these errors is that they aren¹t consistent at
all.  When trying to play a VCD or SVCD, the most common one I get in
Terminal (using either 0.3.1 version) is:
³input: vcd: no movie tracks found
module error: requested access module `vcd' unavailable
input error: no suitable access plug-in for `vcd/:/dev/rdisk4'²
But then, other times, with the same VCD or SVCD, I¹ll instead get:
³vcd error: could not read block 323670
input: vcd: could not read sector 323670²
Other times, I¹ll get:
³input error: read() failed (Input/output error)²
Finally, some times it¹ll actually play in 0.3.1-05072002, usually if I pick
Open Disc several times in a row very quickly.  And then, about 10 minutes
ago while trying to get vlc 0.3.1-05072002 to open a VCD I got my first
kernel panic in OS X...  It said something about IOCDStorage.
  Is there something odd with my setup/install of VCL?  This is very
frustrating, as MacVCD X can play my VCDs without problem, so I know it
isn¹t a bad disc or two that are giving me these headaches.  And it would be
great for SVCDs to work in some way other than having to keep .bins on my HD
all the time.  That said, I¹m glad I can play SVCDs in any way shape or form
on the Mac right now, so thanks for the port of your app!!!
Any help is appreciated,
Jeff