Need help for VLC on OS X?

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Tue May 28 00:41:35 CEST 2002

Hello,

Sorry for taking so long in answering you, I've been a little busy
lately (as always...).

À (At) 21:10 +0200 21/05/2002, Pierre-Olivier Latour écrivait (wrote) :

>I'm an OS X developer (Carbon / Cocoa) with about 7 years of programming on
>the Mac.
>I'm very impressed with VLC: it can read MPG files QuickTime is not even
>able to read, it use way less processing power for decoding MPG1, can read
>DVD, DVD files, etc... Great work! :-)

Well thanks, I have had a look at your program X-Movie, and I must
say I'm quite impressed too... It's far more advanced than what we
(poor UNIX programmers) have managed to do in a few months. Help is
always welcome, we are an open source project...

>I was actually working on a Cocoa QuickTime player because the one provided
>by Apple sucks (see enclosed application: it's not finished). So I might
>help developing the Cocoa interface. However, I don't have any knowledge
>using the terminal to compile and build app, and I don't want to learn ;).
>If the OS X port use Project Builder / Interface Builder, I'll try to build

Well currently we rely on Terminal.app/Makefiles. The reason behind
this is that we don't want to maintain a thousand different build
systems for every architecture. We have ports on UNIX, BeOS, Win32,
Mac OS X, QNX, and having a separate build system for every platform
would mean a lot of work for us. And our Makefiles are quite
powerful, regarding dependencies and plug-ins.

So for the time being, we'll stick to Makefiles. That's not
complicated however, you basically have to open Terminal.app and type
:
./configure
make

There is a way to execute that inside PowerBuilder, I'll have a look
at it later.

>a cool interface for VLC. The best would be to create a separate library for
>the VLC Core, that I would simply import into the project.

That is also in the works, and quite advanced (though not public yet).

>Can you send me the source code + project files of the OS X port so I can
>have a look?

Sure, VLC is GPL (which means the code you write will have to be GPL
too, BTW), and you can get the latest cvs code from :

http://www.videolan.org/cvs.html

The project file is in extras/MacOSX

Most of the discussions happen in English in vlc-devel at videolan.org
(because many developers aren't French-speaking). I encourage you to
subscribe to this mailing-list.

We can also discuss that on irc.openprojects.net/#videolan, where
most VLC developers hang around.

--
Christophe Massiot.