[vlc] Re: Win32 build in Cygwin/MingW environment

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Fri Nov 8 11:06:41 CET 2002

On Friday 08 November 2002 09:22, Joe Kraft wrote:
> Has anyone successfully compiled VLC in a Cygwin/MingW environment?  I
think

> I'm currently trying to compile the vlc 0.4.4 code, do I need to get a
more
> recent version? I noticed on vlc-devel] a change was checked in yeaterday
> with the note, "compilation fix for Cygwin".  Will this whole process be
> easier if I use the most recent code?

vlc-0.4.x will not compile under cygwin. You really need to use MSYS/MinGW
as explained in the INSTALL.win32 file to compile it.

However, the development branch of vlc (aka soon to be vlc-0.5) does compile
under cygwin, and there are instructions on how to do this in the
INSTALL.win32.
If you are serious about developping something for vlc, then you should use
the development branch, if not then you better stick with vlc-0.4.x as this
is the current stable branch.

> The following is the command line I used for the configure script:
> ./configure --host=mingw32 --disable-nls --disable-optimizations
--enable-de
> bug --disable-dvd
>
> The configure script seems to be ignoring my compiler switches and picking
> up cygwin headers instead of mingw headers.  The first one it hits is the
> getopt.h header which cygwin has, but mingw doesn't.

The line I use for vlc-0.5 is:
  CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" ./configure
(I don't add --host=mingw32)

Hope this helps,