[vlc] vlc 1400ms latency

brian at worldcontrol.com brian at worldcontrol.com
Mon Nov 11 17:32:06 CET 2002

I've alternatively been running

vlc 0.4.1
vlc 0.5.0-cvs-am
mpeg2dec-cvs

in pairs and singly on a Dual Athlon MP 2000 machine
with the application reading from a network UDP stream
and displaying via an Xv window (my VGA card has 32 Xv ports)

I've found to latency (delay in display of the picture from realtime,
using a test stream) to be:

vlc 0.4.1		1400ms
vlc 0.5.0-cvs-am         800ms
mpeg2dec-cvs             300ms

Looking through the mailing list archive for the subject of Latency
the only response I found said there were many variables one would
have to account for that might contribute to delays.

I believe I have eliminated enough of them to ask why vlc has such
a large latency?

And to ask how vlc is architected such that it produces these latencies?

--
Brian Litzinger