[vlc] Re: VLC - Mac OS X

Ian Robert Douglas ian at powerfoundation.org
Thu Nov 21 01:39:16 CET 2002

David,

Can you provide a product name and number for the drive in the iBook?
(Open Apple System Profiler and under "Devices and Volumes" you should
be able to find a Product Identification number and Vendor
Indentification).

This would help us know if the iBook is RCP-1 or RCP-2.  TiBook Combo
Drives—Matshita CW-8121 combo drives—are RCP-2, which means that
they're firmware locked.  RCP-1 can be gotten around with software
hacks, or clients that reset the region counter, or circumvent it.

I was lead to believe that vlc allows people with locked RCP-2 drives
to play DVDs from different regions without changing the region setting
of the drive.  I'll let the list know when I come across a DVD from a
different region, if indeed vlc lives up to that.

IRD