[vlc] Feature Request: Support for non square pixel aspect ratios on DivX

Monika Schilling ms at mschilling.com
Thu Nov 28 12:09:29 CET 2002

Hello,

Playing a DivX file VLC assumes that the pixel aspect ratio (PAR) is square (1:1). Therefore 625 (525) line TV 4:3 footage (PAR = 59:54 (10:11) and especially 16:9 footage (PAR = 118:81 (40:33)) is distorted

Unfortunately in contrast to the MPEG file format the AVI file format does not define a field for PAR information. The resort is to let the user specify the correct PAR, as for example Zoom Player and BSPlayer do.

I like VLC especially because of its low CPU utilization and that there is absolutely no tearing in contrast to other players. However the lack of a PAR selection feature makes VLC for playing my self encoded DivX videos useless.

Thank you for VLC.

Monika