[vlc] Re: Feature Request: Support for non square pixel aspect ratios on DivX

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu Nov 28 12:55:43 CET 2002

On Thursday 28 November 2002 12:09, Monika Schilling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Playing a DivX file VLC assumes that the pixel aspect ratio (PAR) is
square (1:1). Therefore 625 (525) line TV 4:3 footage (PAR = 59:54 (10:11)
and especially 16:9 footage (PAR = 118:81 (40:33)) is distorted

> Unfortunately in contrast to the MPEG file format the AVI file format does
not define a field for PAR information. The resort is to let the user
specify the correct PAR, as for example Zoom Player and BSPlayer do.

> I like VLC especially because of its low CPU utilization and that there is
absolutely no tearing in contrast to other players. However the lack of a
PAR selection feature makes VLC for playing my self encoded DivX videos
useless.

Thanks for this info, we'll add this feature ASAP.

Regards,

--
Gildas