[vlc] Dual Mono

Frank A Ekern frank at newmedia.no
Thu Nov 28 15:38:28 CET 2002

Does videolan have any support for dual-mono signals?

Some channels (the Nordic version of Eurosport is one example) uses a
dual-mono audiotrack. The left channel can be carrying Norwegian, the
other Finish. Getting one language in each channel can be a bit
frustrating.
Is there any way of forcing videolan to use only the left or only the
right audio channel (and then output this to both channels). To make
life a bit harder, this should be done on a per-channel basis.

I can make a sample .ts files available if needed.
(I believe dual mono is signalled in the component_type in the component
descriptor (Stream_content:0x02, Component_type:0x02), but I have no
idea how the language coded for each of the channels are signalised.)
--
Frank