[vlc] [RFC] New VideoLAN Web site

Alexis de Lattre alexis at via.ecp.fr
Sat Nov 30 12:50:53 CET 2002

Report of the meeting regarding the reorganization of the VideoLAN Web
site that took place on 27th November.

Were present : Sam, Lool, Fenrir, Titer, Garf, Zorglub, Schmeuf &
Alexis.

 The Web site will be split in two distinct sites :

- http://www.videolan.org/ for the users,
- http://developers.videolan.org/ for the developers.

1. The user Web site :
---------------------
Logical organization :

    - news
    - events
    - partners
    - contribute
    - about

* VLC Player
    - overview
    - features (OS/feature table)
    - download
    - screenshots

* Stream
    - overview (diagram of the global solution)
    - features (OS/feature table)
    - download

* Documentation
    - VLC user guide
    - VideoLAN Quickstart
    - VideoLAN HOWTO

* Support
    - Bugs
    - Mailing-lists (vlc at videolan, vls at videolan)
    - IRCWeb

* Developers -> link to the developer Web site

Graphical aspect :

-------  --------------------------  -----------------
| Co  |  |  VideoLAN              |  | Select mirror |
| ne  |  |  Logo                  |  |               |
-------  --------------------------  -----------------

| Home | VLC Player | Stream | Documentation | Support | Developers |

---------- --------------------------------------------- ------------
|        | |                                           | | News     |
| Menu   | |            Text                           | |          |
|        | |                                           | |          |
|        | |                                           | |          |
|        | |                                           | |          |
---------- |                                           | | Small    |
           |                                           | | screen-  |
           |                                           | | shots    |
           |                                           | ------------

2. The developers web site
--------------------------
Logical organization :

* Software :
   - vlc
   - vls
   - mini-vlcs
   - libdvdcss
   - libdvbpsi
   - libdvdplay

* Resources
   - Documentation
   - Bugs
   - Mailing-lists
   - IRCWeb
   - CVSWeb
   - Team
   - Contribute

Graphical aspect : simple, like the actual site.

3. Icone and logo
-----------------
For the cône, Stéphane Soppera is preparing one.

For the logo, we will ask Karibu if he can modify his logo (see
http://www.karibu.org/videolan/videolan.php) : reduce the letters "LAN"
and adapt it to a white background.

If others users have propositions for a new logo or a new cone, we would
be pleased to take them into account in the choice.

4. Developpement
The developpement will start as soon as possible. The pages will be in
the new CVS branch "www.videolan.org". All the developpers that have a
CVS account have full access to this branch. The images and logos won't
be in the CVS but in a separate directory.

A script will update automatically the Web site from the CVS. During a
release process, the script will be desactivated ; and then reactivated
when the release process is completed.

--
Alexis