[vlc] Re: Hi i am trying to setup a Streaming solution for a non profit Theater in santa monica.

job pgeor at oteresearch.gr
Tue Nov 26 02:49:42 CET 2002

Its very simple you could consider two solutions:
1)Encode the live event with helix producer plus and then send it to a Helix Server which will multicast it to the network(as long as you have corectlly configured the multicast routing on the server)both products come from RealNetworks(problems->expensive to buy,comression only in real format)
2)Install vlc (if you are using linux you must compile it with video4linux support) and stream with vlc from the server in a multicast group.(problems->difficult to compile and use if you are a novice user but it is FREE of any charge)
Personally I am using both ways on a machine running SLACKWARE linux and for me vlc is better from Real Products because it is the only real time streamer.I managed with advanced configurations to have a delay of 600ms in the transmitted live video.
Panos

Computer and Telecommunications Engineer