[vlc] audio decoder glitches?

jon jon at seniorblanco.com
Sun Oct 6 00:21:14 CEST 2002

Greetings,

I'm going to start this letter with an apology in case the problem i'm
about to describe is a general waste of everyone's time due to my own
incompetance.  I've searched online through various vlc troubleshooting
forums and i have found mentions of issues similar to this in very old
versions of vlc (which i never had such trouble with) but no real
solutions suggested.

That said, I seem to be experiencing some sort of audio decoder
malfunction using vlc 0.4.4 in linux.  The soundcard I use is an aureal
vortex 2, which has basically unfinished drivers and has certainly
caused me incompatability problems in the past becasue of this.  At the
moment however, vlc is the only program i have that seems to be
experiencing this problem.

The problem itself is in the form of loud crackling/popping noises
during dvd playback.  I've tested various other encoding formats and
have noticed the issue on some mpegs, but not ALL mpegs, however ALL
dvd's seem to crackle the same way... lower/louder frequencies seem to
cause some sort of digital audio decoding error that makes loud
crackling / popping noises come out of the speakers.  It should be noted
that there is no other evidence of audio distortion/clipping or
overdrive... it simply seems like there's a threshold below which only
loud crackling noises come out of the speakers.  My best guess based on
this NOT happening with all mpeg files (perhaps the difference is
between mpeg1 and mpeg2?) is that it may have something to do with one
of the audio decoder modules, perhaps the software ac3 audio decoder.

Has anyone out there run into problems like this?  Is there a known
solution?  Any advice or info is welcome.  I can provide other system
specs / version info if it will be of help.

Oh, and for whatever it may be worth the copy of vlc 0.4.4 i run on my
TiBook in OSX does NOT have these audio glitches.

thanks,
~jon